Is being a chocoholic a thing? If so, I think I am one. In fact, I’m pretty sure I am. I always reach for a bite of chocolate after lunch or dinner, and can’t stop thinking about it until I get one. My latest chocolate-y favorite is a chocolate chip cookie. They are a classic for a reason. Everyone has their go-to recipe and this one is mine. The cookies are soft on the inside with a slight crunch on the outside. And with chocolate chips in every bite…perfection. This recipe yields nice and thick cookies. I like to use an electric mixer to make these, but you could certainly mix the dough by hand. It is a thicker dough, so you’d likely need to put some muscle into it. But it’s totally doable. Happy Baking!
3/4 c unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
3/4 c brown sugar, packed
1/4 c white sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c all purpose flour
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt (optional)
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 c bittersweet or dark chocolate chunks
- In a mixing bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well combined. Then add egg and vanilla, mix dough together until combined.
- Next, add flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Mix together once all dry ingredients are in the bowl, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Once dough is well combined, add chocolate chips and chocolate chunks. For the chocolate chunks, you can substitute a chocolate baking bar cut into smaller pieces. Mix dough together to spread out chocolate pieces.
- Refrigerate dough for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Once dough is chilled, form balls of dough about 1/4 cup each making the balls tall rather than short. Place on a cookie sheet or on a silicone baking mat on a cookie sheet.
- Bake cookies for 12-15 min until centers are mostly cooked and edges are brown.
- Once cookies are done, let them sit on the baking sheet to cool for a few minutes then transfer them to a wire rack.
- Cookies stay fresh for up to 5 days in an air tight container. Or freeze them for when you have that chocolate craving!